The Department of Politics and International Relations (DPIR) is keen to receive applications from exceptionally talented early career scholars who have recently completed their doctorate, or are in its final stages, both from the UK and internationally. The applicant’s research area should be within the scope of the Department’s expertise and applicants are strongly encouraged to make contact with at least one member of the permanent academic staff to explore supervision arrangements.
All applicants (internal and external), are considered by the Department’s Research Committee in two gathered fields per year.
The next deadline is: 10 June 2020 (noon)
We are unable to directly fund postdoctoral fellows, unless a particular funded position has been announced on our Vacancies page.
However, the Department may support externally funded fellowship applications made under the following schemes:
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellowships
- ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Newton International Fellowships
- ESRC New Investigator Awards
- Other schemes considered at the Research Committee’s discretion
To be considered for DPIR support for any of the above (or other) schemes, all applications must be submitted by the DPIR gathered field deadline, regardless of the scheme’s own deadline.
To apply in the next gathered field, please submit the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your subject line should read “Postdoc gathered field: [your name]”
- Draft research proposal, maximum of 6 sides of A4, including:
- Aims and objectives
- Case of support
- Outcomes and outputs
- Resources required
- Pathways to impact
- Data management plan
- Name and deadline of the scheme(s) you wish to be considered for
- Statement of how you meet the scheme(s) eligibility criteria
- Name and email address of the proposed academic supervisor
Some postdoctoral fellows come to us as visitors, and this may be the case if you:
- Are applying for funding as an independent researcher
- Have already secured external funding for your postdoc
- Are preparing an application which requires an invitation
You will still need make an application to come to DPIR by submitting the following by email to email@example.com. Your subject line should read “Postdoc visitor: [your name]”
- Research proposal
- Statement of support from an academic sponsor (permanent teaching and research staff)
- Letter from your home institution, confirming approval for your proposed visit
- Visitor Application Form, see our Academic Visitor Scheme for further details.
Please be aware that a bench fee will be chargeable for the duration of your stay in the Department.