Martijn van den Brink
Martijn van den Brink is a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Politics and International Relations at the University of Oxford. His postdoctoral project, ‘Religious Equality and Employment within the European Union’, examines which employment practices affecting the freedom of religion and belief must be outlawed within the European Union.
Prior to joining the University of Oxford, Martijn was a postdoctoral fellow at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, Göttingen, where he worked on a project, entitled, ‘The Boundaries of Citizenship within the European Union’. He holds a PhD from the European University Institute, Florence. His PhD thesis was on the Authority of the European Union Legislature.
Martijn holds degrees in law and political science from the Universities of Oxford and Groningen. He held visiting positions at the University of Michigan and the University of Zagreb.
EU law and politics, citizenship and migration, legislative studies, religious freedom and non-discrimination
2021: 'The European Union's Demoicratic Legislature' International Journal of Constitutional Law (forthcoming)
2021: 'Is it Time to Abolish the Substance of EU Citizenship Rights Test?' European Journal of Migration and Law (forthcoming)
2020: ‘A Qualified Defence of the Primacy of Nationality over European Union Citizenship' International and Comparative Law Quarterly
2019: ‘Justice, Legitimacy, and the Authority of Legislation in the European Union’ (82) 2 Modern Law Review 293-318
2019: ‘EU Citizenship and Fundamental Rights: Empirical, Conceptual, and Theoretical Problems’ (25) 1 European Law Journal 21-36
2019: ‘Against Associate EU Citizenship’, The Journal of Common Market Studies; co-author: Dimitry Kochenov
2019: ‘Bold but without Justification? Tjebbes’, (4) 1 European Papers 409-415
2016: ‘What’s in a Name Case? Some Lessons for the Debate on the Free Movement of Same-Sex Couples within the EU’ (17) 3 German Law Journal 421-450
2016: ‘Secessions from EU Member States: The Imperative of Union’s Neutrality’ (1) 1 European Papers 67-92; co-author: Dimitry Kochenov
2020: ‘EU Competence and Investor Migration’ in Dimitry Kochenov and Kristin Surak (eds), The Law of Citizenship and Money (CUP); co-author: Daniel Sarmiento
2019: ‘The Problem with Market Citizenship and the Beauty of Free Movement’ in Fabian Amtenbrink et al (eds), The Internal market and the Future of European Integration (CUP).
2019: ‘The Promises and Drawbacks of EU Citizenship for a Polycentric Union’ in Josephine van Zeben and Ana Bobic (eds), Policentricity in the European Union (CUP)
2017: ‘The Origins and Potential Federalising Effects of the Substance of Rights Doctrine’ in Dimitry Kochenov (ed), EU Citizenship and Federalism: The Role of Rights (CUP).
- Sarmiento, D, Van Den Brink, M, (2020) 'EU competence and investor migration'
- Van Den Brink, M, (2019) 'The Promises and Drawbacks of EU Citizenship for a Polycentric Union', p163-185
- Van den Brink, M, (2017) 'The Origins and Potential Federalising Effects of the Substance of Rights Doctrine'
- Van den Brink, M, Kochenov, D, (2015) 'Pretending There Is No Union: Non-Derivative Quasi-Citizenship Rights of Third-Country Nationals in the EU'
- Van Den Brink, M, (2019) 'A qualified defence of the primacy of nationality over European Union citizenship', International and Comparative Law Quarterly
- van den Brink, M, Kochenov, D, (2019) 'Against associate EU citizenship', JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, vol. 57 (6) p1366-1382
- Den Brink, M, (2019) 'Justice, legitimacy and the authority of legislation within the European Union', Modern Law Review, vol. 82 (2) p293-318
- van den Brink, M, (2018) 'EU citizenship and (fundamental) rights: Empirical, normative, and conceptual problems', European Law Journal, vol. 25 (1) p21-36
- van den Brink, M, (2016) 'Europe's Justice Deficit?', EUROPEAN LAW REVIEW, vol. 41 (4) p617-620
- Van Den Brink, M, (2016) 'What's in a name case? Some lessons for the debate over the free movement of same-sex couples within the EU', German Law Journal, vol. 17 (3) p421-449
- Van Den Brink, MJ, (2012) 'EU citizenship and EU fundamental rights: Taking EU citizenship rights seriously?', Legal Issues of Economic Integration, vol. 39 (2) p273-290